Fall is here — how you like ‘dem apples? In little, baked apple sized form, of course!
What you need for 4 servings:
- Apples x 6 – Granny Smith or Honeycrisp
- Refrigerated pie crust
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Cinnamon 1 tsp
- Cornstarch 1 tsp
- Water (lukewarm) 1 tbsp
- 1 egg
- Milk 1 tsp
- Toffee bits
- Caramel sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400° degrees.
2. Peel and dice two of the apples and toss into a pan.
3. Slice the tops of the remaining apples and use a melon baller or spoon to hollow out.
4. Mix the 1 tsp cornstarch with the 1 tbsp of lukewarm water until dissolved and add to the diced apples in the pan.
5. Add the 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar, stir over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from stove and let cool 10 minutes.
6. Drop the cooled filling into the hollowed apples. This is where I typically sneak some caramel on top.
7. Roll out the refrigerated pie crust and cut into strips about 1/2 inches thick. Set aside every other strip.
I like to cut the strips horizontally (shown above), but I prefer to weave vertically (shown below). Follow your heart and do what you want.
8.THIS IS THE PIE CRUST HACK! Weave the pie crust.
Push together the strips so that they have a small gap between (about 1/3 inches) Pull back every other strip, take the longest strip that you had set aside and lay across the middle (#1). Place the strips that you had pulled back over the horizontal strip (#2). Pull back the alternating strips back (#3). Repeat with increasingly shorter strips of pie crust.
9. Use a cookie cutter or something that is a bit bigger than the exposed top of your hollow apple to make pie crust cutouts. Pictured here is the IKEA drinking glass SKOJA in teal.
Tada. Perfect pie crusts. People will ask you “how did you get such perfectly round pie crusts?” I tell them it’s the magic of SKOJA.
10. Place your pie crusts tops over your filled apples.
11. Make your egg wash (1 tsp milk + egg) and brush over pie crust.
12. Sprinkle cinnamon over pie crust. I add nutmeg sometimes.
13. Arrange the apples in a baking pan and pop the pan into the oven at 400° degrees for 25-30 minutes.
14. If you’re into toffee, sprinkle the some toffee bits across the crust 5 minutes before time and put back in the oven. Your baked apple lattice pie is ready to come out when the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 mins. Serve warm by itself, with caramel sauce, or à la mode.